Monday, May 23, 2011

Book I Mentioned to Learn to Fast


The book I suggested in yesterday's message that was helpful to me in learning to fast was Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster.

There are several things I appreciate about the chapter he provides on fasting.

One, he gives an easy step by step approach. The suggestions he makes about preparing and ending a fast are very helpful. In outlining the steps he helps make longer fasts seem possible.

Two, he gives good reasons for fasting. Regardless of how or why we start, I am confident that those that learn this discipline sooner or later learn the reason to participate in fasting. I know that I began the practice for certain good reasons, but learned more meaningful reasons with each fast I participated in. Foster helps give the beginner a good Biblical purpose for fasting.

Three, he gives good insight into how you are going to feel. The emotional and physical toll of fasting is what causes most people to think they cannot do it. His realistic approach and honest outlook on how a fast will impact your mood and energy level helped me anticipate and better prepare for the effects on my body and mind.

As I said yesterday, fasting is something Jesus taught. He assumed it is something we would do (Matthew 6:16-18). I pray that members and attenders of The Hope will make this spiritual discipline a natural part of their lives.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Thanks for this resource:)

Your sermon on Sunday was very convicting...I have never fasted before, but I am committed to praying about it for the future.