Saturday, May 8, 2010

When You Feel in Over Your Head

A dear friend told me about how his daughter and son-in-law barely escaped last week's flood with their two children.

They had been watching the road into their subdivision to insure that it was passable. On one of those trips out they realized the water had suddenly raised to over four feet. That happened in a matter of minutes.

They went back inside and came out a bit later to find that the water was now at their doorstep. It was getting dark. Their children were scared. They were terrified so they decided to see if they could get to higher ground.

With a child on each parent's shoulders they got into the street. The water was at neck level just below their chins. They were not sure they would live through this, but then two boats showed up. Two boats driven by two men who were not assigned or paid for their task. Driven by a heart to help, these two men had brought their boats to that area that evening and by God's providence saved a family from certain death.

I know a lot of people feel in over their heads today with life. Look to the ONE who can save you. He came looking for you. Jesus left heaven to rescue you. Surrender yourself to HIS care.

George Matheson once wrote,

"O Love that wilt not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in Thee,
I give Thee back the life I owe,
That in thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.

"O Light that followest all my way,
I yield my flickering torch to Thee,
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in Thy sunshine's blaze its day
May brighter, fairer be.

"O Joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to Thee,
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain,
That morn shalt tearless be.

"O Cross that liftest up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from Thee,
I lay in dust life's glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red,
Life that shall endless be."

Hebrews 10:35–36 So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. 36 You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jason.
What a great comment..So true my friend and pastor..Linda

Michael Brandon said...

Jason
I got the The Peacemaker yesterday. Started it last night. THANK YOU!!!

ruth said...

Jesus says, “In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” John 16:33