Friday, September 25, 2009

Assured of Salvation in Christ

I believe God saves and perseveres in saving all those who believe in Christ. As we baptists like to say, "Once a person is saved, they are always saved." They are not saved because of their saving actions. Those who are saved are saved by grace through faith in Christ alone.

What are we saved from? We are saved from a life separated from God. We are saved from an eternity separated from God. We are saved from the power of sin so that we are able to know God and follow His lead. We are saved from a life that lives for temporal things.

We are not only saved from terrible things. We are also saved for wonderful things. We are saved for God's glory. We are saved for a life of joy, peace, and significance. We are saved for a life of meaning.

Salvation is more than a concept. Salvation is an experience. It is something that happens. Assurance of salvation is more than a concept. Our assurance of our eternal hope in Christ is an experience. It is something that we can examine. Our assurance of salvation is something we can assess the veracity of.

We are told in 2 Corinthians 13:5 to "Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?"

I am extremely concerned about a person I know right now who claims to be saved. This person claims Christ, but is not living for Christ.

What we believe ultimately defines who we are. Who we are will determine what we do. If we consistently do ungodly things fully aware that we are disobeying God unconcerned about the way we are dishonoring God, it is because we do not genuinely believe. If we believe in the Lordship of Jesus, we are slaves to Him. If we are His slaves, we obey our master. Any continual blatant disobedience to the Lord communicates what a person believes and who they are.

I do not like to cause people to doubt their salvation. That is what the devil does. What I do feel compelled to do, is to encourage people to test their faith and make sure it is authentic so they are assured of what they believe and who they are in Christ. They will know based on what they are doing in obedience to Him.

John 15:10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love.

3 comments:

Will B said...

Good word brother. I agree, salvation is something you should SEE in my life, not just hear me talk about.

Ruth Fraser said...

Pastor Jason, I couldn't agree with you more, we as Christians need to continue to examine ourselves. To me Salvation is not just a one time experience, it is also a process. Jesus has saved us from the bondage of sin and if we are truly saved (and being saved) we cannot continue to sin (1 Jn. 3:6). If we are tempted God always provides a way out so that we don't have to sin (1 Cor. 10:12-13). Yes the devil does cause people to doubt their salvation but it shouldn't be confused with when the Father is disciplining us or the Holy Spirit convicting us. God disciplines those He considers His children and that discipline is painful. One test I use to discern the voice of the enemy is that he makes me feel guilty of sin I have already confessed and asked God for forgiveness. God never brings up my past once I have repented. The Holy Spirit convicts me of sin in me that I have not dealt with yet. Yes the true test of our salvation is that we are living in obedience to Him. And what thrills me the most about our God is that He doesn't expect us to live in obedience in our own strength but comes and lives in us to help us every step of the way. What an awesome God!

Unknown said...

I found this clip and just wanted to share it. I thought it was awesome and went hand in hand with the way that GOD wants his children to shine their light. The lady in this clip was not concerned for herself, but her attacker.Even when the situation at hand was scary, she stood strong in her faith and was obedient to the LORD. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj3imy-FCPI