Monday, February 2, 2009

Eyes that Can See Ears that Can Hear

I've heard many "calls" for revival recently but with very little teaching and exposition on revival. It seems that in these urgent days there are too few leaders who actually are leading God's people corporately to repent, pray, seek holiness and return to God.

Do we not realize that scripturally it is impossible to have a call for revival without a call for repentance? This has always been God's requirement for His people. The passionate, unceasing corporate prayer that is always present in revival is desperately lacking as well. In short, I see little evidence of sincere brokenness among God's people for our present condition or the condition of our nation.

We call for revival without actually crying with tears and brokenness for revival. The "call for revival" seems almost like a spiritual fad, with no true passion and sincerity of heart. Many will say "amen" when they hear mention of the need for revival. But the "call" is fleeting and soon passes away. And then we quickly move on to other activity and return to our business as usual with no follow-through by the leaders of God's people.

Click here to continue. . .

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

How interesting to me that you have posted this article from Henry Blackaby. What are your personal thoughts regarding this article? Is this an honest "assessment" of where we are right now as a church family? This is a hard subject that you have addressed. I have carefully read this and especially the end of Blackaby's article and his list of suggestions for us who long for true revival - and yes it must start with a willingness to be broken - and brokenness is incredibly humbling and hard - and tears do result - we are so in need of true brokenness and repentance. Did you know that in 1995 God used Blackaby and Nancy Leigh DeMoss to speak to Campus Crusdae Staff on just these topics and such an incredible movement of God's Spirit resulted in unbelievable repentance & revival among that organization? Oh that we all would be open to God's movement of His Spirit within our hearts.

jason pettus said...

I have heard about that movement of God at that meeting with Campus Crusade. Thomas Weakley, one of our leaders at Living Hope, was there and told me about it. From what Thomas said it sounds as if it was a powerful outpouring of God's Spirit on that place and those people.

I posted this because I desire to see a movement of God in my life and in the life of my church and nation. I did not post it as a commentary on Living Hope. I posted it with a hope that God would use it to inspire prayer from His people and give us eyes that can see and ears that can hear God.

JD said...

http://jeffturpin.wordpress.com/2008/02/28/a-new-liturgy-from-shane-claiborne/

I don't know if the link I pasted above will work. If it doesn't, just google "shane claiborne litany" and you should be able to find it quickly.

Its a great prayer of repentance for corporate worship. The first time I heard it, I was blown away. It reminds me of how revival starts. It reminds me of 2 Chronicles 6-7.

Its beautiful. It was my first thought when I read your post and Blackaby's article.