Monday, December 8, 2008

Defining Success as Parents


I want my children to do well. Defining what that means is very important. My wife and I are investing our best resources into their lives. It is important that we understand and agree what success looks like. Does that mean that they are popular, rich, powerful, happy, healthy, or what?

The words of D.A. Carson help us tremendously. Commenting on 3 John 4 "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." Carson writes, "In a world where many Christians derive their deepest joy from advancement, ease, promotions, financial security, good health, popularity, and a host of other things, it is delightful, not to say challenging, to hear an apostle testify that nothing stirs his joy more than to hear that his “children” are walking in line with the Gospel. That tells us all we need to know of his heart—and of where we should find our pleasures too." D. A. Carson, For the Love of God. Volume 1, December 8.

I want them to know Christ and the power of the resurrection.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the message for today. Man is that ever dead center of the bulls eye. Nothing speaks to me like hearing the Truth from my children. I can tell you when you hear your young child say "I am not going to be afraid at school anymore, because God was with David when he met Goliath, so I know he will be with me too!" It took me 40 plus years to get it, my child got it the first time. Thanks for your words.

Chad said...

I want my son to know Christ as well. That's my number one goal of mine for him. My prayer is that he comes to know Christ ealry in life and earnestly seeks a close walk with Him daily thereafter.