Monday, August 25, 2008

Compassion in Action


Yesterday, I talked about the need for believers to love people and provide compassion. I went long and still had stuff I wanted to share. You can find the sermon here. The good thing is using this technology, you can fast forward it if I start to bore you.

One thing I wanted to emphasize was the gift of serving that goes to those who give. We are to give compassion because God has been compassionate to us, but one of the great by-products of compassion is friendship.

I heard about a guy at church who would come and enjoy worship, but was not one to speak out or do anything that would put the spotlight on him and yet he is dearly loved and honored. This is a guy who would never consider sharing his testimony in church because it would just overwhelm him and yet he has so much love for people and a trail of friends in his wake.

Why? Because he loves people and shows them compassion using his gifts. He is a tool man who can fix things. There are people in the world, like me, who have no business being near a toolbox or a construction project. The fact is I will break what's being built, hurt myself and possibly hurt others.

That's not the case with this man.

Not long ago a neighbor who had not been real open to conversation or connection was working on his house, but wasn't doing well. I feel his pain. This tool man came over with his toolbox and said, "Would you mind if I helped? I love this sort of project?" Desperate and amazed the neighbor accepted the offer.

Within no time at all, the job was done. As the tool man was packing up, the neighbor said pointing to the tool man's tools, "Man that is an awesome set of tools. What is the best thing you've ever made with them?"

The tool man thought for a minute and smiled and said, "Honestly, the best thing I've ever made with these tools are friends. I hope I just made another one." The neighbor held out his hand and the rest is history.

In time the tool man was able to share his hope in Christ and give his neighbor a chance to receive Christ and find a family of friends at church.

That is all any of us can do. Use what we've got to give compassion to others and provide what they need more than anything else - love.

No comments: