Friday, August 10, 2007

Struggling To Stomach Starbucks & Me


I along with many others recently discovered that Starbucks was marketing its coffee by making a mockery of the Christian faith. This is surprising to me considering the fact that so many churches are in partnership with Starbucks and brew their coffee exclusively.

I am not surprised that the Way would have hostile enemies. I am surprised that Starbucks would practice such bad business.

As far as buying Starbucks goes, I won’t go out of my way to get coffee from them. Thankfully, there are other options out there especially the local coffee shops that provide for local families. That’s where you’ll find me.

As far as the anti-Christian statements on the coffee, I believe they are a wonderful tool for God to use in a Christian’s life.

The question we don’t need to waste our time asking is, “Why would Starbucks write this kind of Godless thought on their coffee cup?” Clearly, they are not in favor of the faith in Christ.

The question we have to ask is, “Why would we, as people of faith, write this kind of Godless thought on our hearts or have it in our minds?” Clearly we do. I know at times I do and live like it.

The thought printed on the coffee cup in question was

The Way I See It #247 “Why in moments of crisis do we ask God for strength and help. As cognitive beings, why would we seek something that may well be a figment of our imagination for guidance? Why not search inside ourselves for the power to overcome? After all, we are strong enough to cause most of the catastrophes we need to endure.” by Bill Scheel

The real question for me is why would I ever believe that I could do anything without God’s help? Why would I, a creature with limited intelligence, knowledge, and perspective assume I know the direction I need to proceed toward in my life? Why would I look inside myself for power, when I know that I am a weak self-centered person who is prone to sin and make mistakes? Why would I not seek grace for the catastrophes I create?

It is ridiculous for any person who has met and been transformed by the risen Christ to rely on anyone or anything other than Him. Why would I settle for me or anything else created, when I have God Almighty maker of haven and earth as my shepherd?

I am reminded of my favorite C.S. Lewis quote.

We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.

At the end of the day, I am not surprised by Starbucks. I am surprised that I and so many other followers of Christ many times think and live the way Starbucks is advertising - Godlessly self-sufficient.

Email comments and questions to me at jpettus@lhbg.org.

No comments: