Thursday, May 3, 2007

Not Sick, but Tired


I’m really tired this week. I’ve gotten plenty of sleep. I even got an extra day off to go hunting and I killed my first turkey. That was amazing!

But I am tired. I’m not complaining. I’m just saying I’m tired.

I bring it up because I’ve learned that there are certain things you don’t do when you are tired. So just in case you are tired too or in order to be prepared for the next time you do get tired, here are the top 5 things you don’t do when you are tired.

#1 Don’t Talk Too Much – When you are tired you say stuff that either makes no sense or is way too direct and inappropriate. Fatigue messes up your mental filter so zip it up.

#2 Don’t Make Up Your Mind – When you are tired you will make bad decisions. This is not the time to consider a new vocation, a new location, or a new means of transportation. You will spend money you don’t have, go places that won’t satisfy, and lose opportunities you have worked too hard to give up on now.

#3 Don’t Get Used To Being Tired – There is nothing wrong with being tired, but there is something seriously wrong with staying tired. After a few days or a week at the most, if you are still tired you need to see a doctor, take some time off, and/or talk to an objective person who loves you and that you trust. Don’t let weariness be a way of life.

#4 Don’t Just Sleep – When you are truly tired, you don’t just need more sleep. You also need to be inspired and motivated. Get in a place or position where you can get jazzed up. Go see a movie or a friend. Read a book or go kill a turkey. Meditate and consider the goodness and greatness of God and His willingness to love you.

#5 Don’t Stop Doing What You’re Supposed To Do – There are certain things you just have to do. You have to brush your teeth. You have to pay the bills. You have to care for the people in your family and your circle of friends. You have to connect with God and care for other people who cannot give you anything in return. Do what you have to do and don’t mess up your life because you don’t feel like doing what must be done.

No comments: