Friday, January 5, 2007

The Goal Is Progress Not Perfection


This year we are on a journey through the Bible. “Walk in the Word” offers us the opportunity to know God in ways we never have before. By studying God’s Word, preaching through God’s Word, and discussing God’s Word in small groups we are going to see who God is. God has revealed Himself in Christ and through the Scripture. To know Christ is to know God and to know the Bible is to know God better.

As it pertains to your individual study, worship attendance, and small group participation realize you might miss occasionally. You also may not fully understand everything you read, hear, and discuss with others. That does not mean you need to quit. Just because you do not participate and understand perfectly does not mean that it is of no value.

Please understand that the goal is not perfection. We will not be perfect until we enter heaven. The goal is progress. We must all seek to be able to say what the Apostle Paul said.
"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:12-14)

So if you miss a day on your devotions don’t give up and don’t go back. If you miss Monday, January 8th on Tuesday read the devotion for January 9th. If you miss church, be there next Sunday. If you miss your group one week, go the next time. If you don’t understand something, pray and ask God to give you understanding and talk about it in your group. If you have a question that your group can’t answer, ask an elder, a pastor, or log a comment here and I’ll answer it.

Let me add one more thing. You may not be ready to read 4 chapters and a page of commentary. If I were to prioritize your study for you, I would say that if something has to go, the Carson book would be the first thing to go. Then reduce chapters down to as little as 1 chapter a day, if you need to.

Again, the goal is not perfection. The goal is progress.

7 comments:

Al said...

John 18:21 Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go."

Someone also said,"You can't grow roots in the storm".
We are grateful for our leaders at Living Hope for responding obediently to Christ's demands to give proper nourishment for the journey to His sheep through the reading and studying of His Word so that we may be able to stand in the storm.

Estella said...

Although it is commendable of our church leaders to focus on spiritual growth and nourishment of our congregation, it is a mandate in the Word of God 2Timothy 2:15 (kjv)that says , Study to show thyself approved unto God...... We all need to know the Word of God for ourselves and apply it to our daily lives because when our life is over, God will not ask us what the Pastor said, he will ask us what we done with what we had been given( time, talent, resources, as well as knowledge of his Word).I know that we live in a very busy and fast paced environment. Sometimes, it is before I go to bed that I have the time to read my 4 chapters, plus comment from the book, but if I don't read it, I now feel like something is missing from my life.Progress will come as we discipline ourselves to be a faithful steward of the Word because it changes you from the inside out!I close this comment with Jesus's words in John 17:17,Sanctify them by your truth.Your word is truth.

AMANDA said...

Many things lead to our progress, some big and some small. I wanted to thank you and the rest of the staff for seeing to the "small" needs that we have as a congregation. I am a mother of 4, 3 in school and one toddler. Until recently I have never been able to attend a bible study due to work or child care issues. Because LHBC graciously provides childcare for the Tuesday bible studies, I was able to meet a group of women that truly know and love GOD. Being there has changed my life and my family!! To some, this service may seem small or insignificant, but there are many women,(and men) that would be further away from GOD without it. Thank you again for making it easier for us to Get to GOD !!!

Anonymous said...

What a tremendous sermon Wednesday night! I was so encouraged and strengthened by the message. My prayer today is from Acts 4:24-30. I find much to be encouraged by in this passage. Perhaps others may feel led to pray the same:

"Sovereign Lord, you made the heaven and the earth and the sea, and everything in them. You spoke by the Holy Spirit through the mouth of your servant, our father David:

"'Why do the nations rage
and the peoples plot in vain?
The kings of the earth take their stand
and the rulers gather together
against the Lord
and against his Anointed One.'

Indeed Herod and Pontius Pilate met together with the Gentiles and the people of Israel in this city [Jerusalem] to conspire against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed. They did what your power and will had decided beforehand should happen. Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness. Stretch out your hand to heal and perform miraculous signs and wonders through the name of your holy servant Jesus."

How profound a mystery, as Paul says:

"He appeared in a body,
was vindicated by the Spirit,
was seen by angels,
was preached among the nations,
was believed on in the world,
was taken up in glory." (1 Tim. 3:16)

May we proclaim the good news boldly as Christ enables.

Emily said...

"Press on Church and Pastor Jason!" This is So Awesome!! Taking the churches vision of "Walking in the Word" has become one of the most effective ways to expand and invest my heart and time, not just knowing about God, but actually knowing God:) Everyday my husband and I get so excited for the next day's read, to continue "pressing on" through this study as a couple, and then to connect with our small group. I hear people talk about their "walk" with God and that is so awesome. I have been, however, on a "run" with God. That desire to know him more just literally sends me "running" after Him and his truth. This has even opened up opportunity to reach family out of this community by encouraging them to "Walk in the Word" with us. As a daughter, I cannot express the fullfillment I feel that I am leading my own parents through this scripture and truth! How Great is our God!

Mr. Davis said...

For those like me who have been struggling to get meat out of our readings ...

I have changed my approach to how I am reading the chapter and commentary. I hope this helps as it has begun to help me.
I read the first two chapters and commentary for the day in the morning and the last two at night right before bed. In the morning I also go back and ask myself a series of questions to help me digest the meat of the chapters and look for how it points to "redemptive history"(Christ).

For example this morning I asked myself these questions in Gen. 12 What has happened before Genesis 12? What is God’s Call and Promise to Abraham (vs. 2-3)? How does Abraham respond to God’s Call in Vs. 4-9? How does Abraham change in Vs. 10-20? How does God change in regard to His promises to Abraham in Vs. 10-20 (Reference Promises in vs. 2-3)?

Then I try and think throughout the day about the redemptive history...

If Christ is the fulfillment of what Abraham was supposed to be. Who was Abraham supposed to be? How is Christ a better revelation of the “True Abraham”?

Hope this hasn't been too boring and wasted your time. Please respond with answers to my questions.

jason pettus said...

Guys and Gals,


Thanks for the encouragement and for the wonderful insights.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and perspectives on God's Word and how you are growing in Christ.

PD I especially appreciate you sharing your approach. I hope some of you who are struggling will use that approach. I also like that it has you read in the morning and at night. This makes your first thoughts and last thoughts God's thoughts.

Please keep sharing.

I plan to have a new blog up after I finish the Exodus sermon. Pray for me as I finish it up for Sunday.

Pastor Jason Pettus